600 – 180 Elgin Street
Ottawa, ON K2P 2K3 [email protected]
Personal Information We Collect
We may collect the following personal information when you access or use our Site.
1. Legal name;
2. Métis Citizenship information;
3. Mailing address;
4. Home address;
5. Phone number(s);
6. Email address;
7. Employment information and prior work history; and
8. Additional personal information that you choose to provide to us (depending on the type of application or form that you submit or complete).
We collect personal information from you using the following methods.
1. Submitting a Form to us through the website or via email;
2. Submitting required and/or optional documentation by email to the address indicated in the Form; and
3. Submitting required and/or optional information through third-party service providers.
How We Use Personal Information
The personal information we collect may be used for the following purposes:
1. Establishing, maintaining and managing our relationship with you so that we can provide you with access to our Site and services;
2. Providing communications and services that you have requested or are entitled to receive from us;
3. Understanding and tailing communications and services for you and to send you information about us, our services, and opportunities that may be relevant to you;
4. Determining eligibility for a Veteran Recognition Payment;
5. Determining eligibility for a Commemorative Project Funding Request;
6. Determining eligibility to be added to a Métis-specific Database to be contacted for various projects or initiatives (i.e. Contractor, Vendor, Elder/Knowledge Keeper, Veteran, Residential School Survivor, Sixties Scoop Survivor);
7. Accepting applications for employment opportunities;
8. Complying with our legal obligations and regulatory requirements;
9. Responding to your questions and concerns and to contact you for administrative purposes;
10. Detecting and protecting us and you from error, fraud, theft, and other illegal or unlawful activity;
11. Assisting with the resolution of disputes; and
12. Any other reasonable purposes for which you provide your consent.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Employees and Staff
We may disclose your personal information to our contractors and service providers who require such information to assist us in managing our relationship with you, including third parties that provide services to us or on our behalf. For example, we may use a third party service provider to send you our newsletter and other electronic communications.
If you would like further information about our policies and practices regarding the third parties (including our service providers) with whom we disclose your personal information and how these third parties collect, use, disclose and store personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer.
Veterans Affairs Canada
We may also disclose your personal information to Veterans Affairs Canada for the purpose of service record verification when requested or required in connection with your dealings with us.
We will not sell or disclose your personal information to other third parties, except in the following cases.
1. If the law requires it;
2. If it is required for any legal proceeding; and
3. To prove or protect our legal rights.
The Site may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins, services, social networks, or applications. Links to websites outside of our Site are provided for the convenience of our visitors. If you follow hyperlinks from our Site to a third-party website, the third-party may be able to collect, use, or disclose your personal information. Please note that third parties have their own privacy policies and practices which we are not responsible for and have no control over. We encourage you to read their respective privacy policies.
How Long We Retain Personal Information
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or regulation, we will only retain your personal information until the purpose the information was collected for has been achieved. You will be notified if your information is kept for longer than this period.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
To protect your security, we use physical, electronic, and administrative measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. We store all information you provide to us on servers in secure facilities. Information you provide to us is accessible only to our employees. Our employees are bound by strict confidentiality agreements and a breach of this agreement would result in the employee's termination.
While we take all reasonable precautions to ensure your personal information is secure and protected, there always remains the risk of harm. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we are unable to guarantee the security of personal information beyond what is reasonably practical. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site.
Children Under the Age of 13
We do not knowingly collect or use personal information from children under 13 years of age. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under 13 years of age, the personal information will be deleted as soon as possible. If a child under 13 years of age has provided us with personal information, their parent or guardian may contact our Privacy Officer using the contact information provided above.
How to Access, Modify, Delete, or Challenge Your Personal Information
If you would like to know if we have collected your personal information, how we have used your personal information, if we have disclosed your personal information, and to who we disclosed your personal information, or if you would like your personal information to be deleted or modified in any way, please contact our Privacy Officer using the contact information provided above.
How to Opt-Out of Collection, Use or Disclosure of Personal Information
In addition to contacting our Privacy Officer, you can opt-out of the use of your personal information for marketing emails. You can opt-out by clicking "unsubscribe" on the bottom of any marketing email.
Retention of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information for as long as is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which the personal information was collected and to comply with legal obligations. The period for which we retain personal information is determined by the type of personal information and the purposes for which the personal information is collected, used, and disclosed.